Monday, May 27, 2013

Peaceful Unrest

Day 3: The begining of a Journey. I participated in a sitting ritual, lead by the owners of Oasis Hostel Ivan and Yulin. They were talking about zen and energy and stuff. Ivan talked about how it was a time to listen. 
Sitting Room
After the sitting, Yulin served us eggs toast and cantalope for breakfast. I met and ate with guest who were staying in the other room, Cameron and Matthew. 

Cameron found an ambitious hike, Elfin Lakes, that he wanted to attempt but it was to far for him to walk. Cameron and I decided to hike Elfin Lakes. The two of us left the Hostel at around ten o'clock. The drive to the approach on a fun logging road. I drove gingerly as I did not want to damage my vehicle. We passed by Quest University, It looks like a nice campus

The approach to the hike was very nice. We talked about his family, and where he was from. We stopped at a cabin about an hour in, which is used by back country skiers in the winter. It was raining the entire time we were there and the hike was so foggy that there was no view. We decided to turn back because there was also a lot of snow slowing us down and because there was no view meaning neither of us was really that motivated to complete the hike. We were both disappointed but I still enjoyed the hike. We didn't talk much on the way back; I think we were both pretty tired. 
Cameron in beside a waterfall on Effin Lakes hike

I drove to the Chief camp site and immediately met another climber who was climbing alone. I set up my tent in the stall next to his.As I was bringing my sleeping bag to my tent I met Adrian. Adrian had been in Squamish one day longer than I was. He is travelling alone as well, and we talked about climbing together on Thursday or Friday. 
The base of the chief

No comments:

Post a Comment