Monday, June 3, 2013

Serenity

Another day in Hope. Today I got lost in Hope. I started the day with the Gould family then went out for a bike ride. I went to Hope Mountain. It was a nice ride, a bit more intimidating than I thought it would be. The ride was not as well developed and it scared me a lot more than the rides at Squamish. After this I found another downhill route by the Othello Tunnels. The approach was very difficult to hike with a bike and was often too narrow for a bike. The downhill was good at points but for the most part was even less developed than the last trail. It even led me to a construction site that was not on the map. I was very lost. After asking some of the operators I eventually found the parking lot. 
A couple shots from the Othello Tunnels walking path

I then took some time off to do some reading. The first park I visited, was in the center of town(Memorial), I decided to bike to one that apparently had a view of the water(Central). It was not much of a park. The town map that I had showed one more at the other end of town so I biked there. It was also not what I expected that I didn't realize I had biked through it(Thacker Regional). On one side was a residential area under construction. On the same side there was a rusted old car from the fifties with vegetation growing out of it. It was kind of cool, but it did not fit the feel of the park and just made it look trashy. I biked back to the Memorial Park and sat down for some reading.

Here is the map from the visitor's centre I used to get around

In hindsight I wish I had taken more pictures. Hope is a beautiful place, that thanks to deforestation, is dissappearing. I may not get another chance to see the trails that I did.

After reading at the park I headed back to the Gould residence. They were getting ready for dinner. At Geoff’s house I met Grayden Baker. He is currently biking across Canada. After dinner Grayden gave at talk about his mission. Grayden's wife Sarah and his son Lukumay were travelling with him in a chase car. Lukumay means lion killer. Grayden and I talked about when he passes through Calgary and we talked about meeting up. I hope to see Grayden when he arrives in Calgary.

Again I'm not very good with taking pictures so a picture off of Grayden's twitter will have to do.

Meeting the staying with Geoff Gould and his family is amazing. Geoff grew up in South Africa as did Joy’s mom, Gwen Roodnick. Geoff and his wife Sara were missionaries there. Sarah is from Halliburton, Ontario, and knows Sawyers Lake, where the Wrights own a cottage, very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment